The Adamawa State Emergency Management Agency (ADSEMA) has confirmed seven persons dead and no fewer than 5,000 displaced following an attack by suspected Boko Haram insurgents on Friday.
Kwapre, a village in Hong local government area of Adamawa State, which lies at the Adamawa-Borno boundary close to the Sambisa Forest in Borno, was attacked Friday evening.
But not much was known on the casualty figure at the time.
Executive Secretary of ADSEMA, Dr Mohammed Sulaiman, said the attack on Kwapre affected neighbouring communities where most of the displaced had taken up temporary residence.
According to him, the insurgents stormed Kwapre in nine vehicles, surrounded the village and killed seven people.
“During the attack, 50 houses, worship centres, markets and schools were burnt. Many people, including women, girls and men, were kidnapped by the attackers,” he said.
He added however eight persons among the kidnapped victims had escaped.
It was gathered by the late afternoon of Sunday that life was gradually returning to Kwapre as the displaced had started trickling back.
Chairman of Hong local government, James Pukuma, said regular and local security personnel had been deployed to guard the community.