Entertainment

Twitter suspends accounts skirting Trump ban

todayMay 7, 2021 8

Background
share close

Twitter on Thursday confirmed that it pulled the plug on several accounts trying to skirt its ban on former president Donald Trump by promoting his blog posts.

The ex-president launched a page on his website earlier this week promising a comment “straight from the desk of Donald J Trump.”

The page was made public just before Facebook’s independent oversight board on Wednesday upheld the platform’s ban on Trump.

Twitter accounts with names playing on Trump themes and seeking to amplify the Trump website posts were taken offline, according to the platform.

“As stated in our ban evasion policy, we’ll take enforcement action on accounts whose apparent intent is to replace or promote content affiliated with a suspended account,” a Twitter spokesperson told AFP.

Twitter said it permanently suspended Trump’s account after the deadly January 6 Capitol riot because there was a risk he would further incite violence, following months of tweets disputing Joe Biden’s presidential election victory.

False and misleading claims about American politics have plummeted, a trend for which Twitter and Facebook are keen to take credit.

With Trump muted, Biden less engaged on social media, and no election cycle underway, Americans are now living in a different media ecosystem.

“The single most important thing was de-platforming Donald Trump,” said Russell Muirhead, a Dartmouth University professor and co-author of “A Lot of People Are Saying,” a book whose title plays on one of Trump’s most popular sayings, used when promoting unproven theories.

“It has removed a daily blizzard of misinformation from the ecosystem,” Muirhead told AFP. “Not being bombarded is helping people’s misinformation immune systems to reset themselves and recover.”

Social media was long for Trump’s weapon of choice, letting him fire off comments without having to explain or back claims.

Written by: kennisadmin

Rate it

Previous post

News

We were ready to lose students in planned bandits’ bombardment – El-Rufai

Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, on Thursday said when 29 students of the Federal College of Forestry Mechanisation, Afaka, Kaduna State, were abducted, the plan was to attack and kill the bandits even if it meant some students would die in the process. El-Rufai added that Kaduna is currently at war and such would only be considered as collateral damage, a price he would be […]

todayMay 7, 2021 9

Post comments (0)

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Listen Online
play_arrow

Kennis 104.1 FM

Contact Us
0%